A question that we are offen asked is "Can we take our Detour Campervan abroad?", and our answer is "Of course you can".
Taking your Detour Campervan around the island of Ireland can be very exciting, however it is always a bit more adventurous to take your Detour Campervan abroad. It goes without saying that campervan holidays overseas will inevitably take extra consideration, different requirements and a little bit more planning. Before you travel to another country it is important to have good knowledge on your destination, and learn about necessary precautions you may need with regards to your campervan.
First, when planning your trip, decide where you want to stay. It is advisable to visit an official campsite when travelling to a foreign country. Do not be tempted to use motorway service stops or car parks. Decide on whether you want to stay by the sea or more inland. Remember that it will be easier to stay somewhere close to the ferry port you landed in for your first night. Before you depart it is vital that your campervan is up to the journey. We here at Detour will ensure your campervan is fully serviced and the tyres are correctly pressured.
Insurance cover for trips to mainland Europe can be arranged for you.
Things to remember:
- Passports, tickets and insurance documents
- Check speed limits in your destination for all road types
- Take the right plug adapters
- Check what kind of weather conditions are possible in your destination, make sure to make the necessary precautions.
- Always make sure you know the evacuation procedure from your camp site.
- Detour Campervans come equipped with international power supplies, so you don't need to worry about that.
By doing as much research as you can before you set off you will be more than prepared for any potential differences or problems. Taking your motorhome abroad should not be a stressful idea. A Detour Campervan holiday can be enjoyed if you are fully prepared. Above all, remember to have a fantastic time!